Saturday 23 October 2010

Jens Harder










Jens Harder is an illustrator and a comic book artist From germany. I found her in NoBrow magazine issue 1. Jens doesnt just draw sea life, but here are two particulary good examples of how Jens uses line and how it translates across to sea life imagery. Jens uses lines to create tone, and in the image above Jens has also used one colour to help build up a tonal quality to the squids bodies.

In most of the imagery I have seen of Jens she uses 3 colours including her outline colour, which is something I have been doing for my sea life illustrations, I think something I can take away from looking at Jens work is that the more detail you put into the line work, the richer the image you are working on will become, making it much more appealing to only add  a few simple colours the emphasise the immidiacy of the image.

I find the way Jens produces line work really appealing and it has the qualities of a really well done pencil drawing, so as is stands I'm pretty unsure how she does these illustrations, I mean they could be digitally done but they have an organic look to them too so she could be really good at pencil drawing and inking, which is probably closer to the truth as she is also a comic book artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment