Friday 22 October 2010

After my tutorial with Mr Bingo.


Mr. Bingo is a cool guy, and hes really got his head screwed on. I really appreciated talking to him about the way he goes about working as an illustrator and I feel more confident about submitting work and getting my work out there now. Initially I had a few questions for him:

How did you get recognition when you were starting out?
He said that having a website is really useful nowadays and that I am doing the right thing to submit illustrations to submission based Zines because potentially if somebody who was involved in editorial saw my work, they would probably hire me for a job - which really suprised me! But I apreciated the comment because it has made me feel more confident hearing that form someone who isnt a best mate.

Did you initially struggle with finding a context to fit your work within?
He said that basically, everything he does is for money so there is normally a context already there. I think tht personal work which dosnt have a context is fine, but a context will make an illustrator basically look more employable. Bingo also said that Humour as the primary focus of his work and always has been.

We also talked a bit about some work I was doing and over all it was a really constructive and positive feedback process which I was really happy about. For my book, Bingo said I could consider:

Stock colour & cover to make the initial visual contact with the book more striking and immidiate to someone who might buy it. The cover at the moment is a bit of a let down in regards to the rest of the book, which i totally agree with and I think I should change it before I print it next week.

Overall a really good day, and a really good visiting professional!

No comments:

Post a Comment