Monday 4 October 2010

Deep sea fish publication - visual content source material






































These are deep sea fish. They make my skin crawl. So what better subject to produce a series of illustrations about? Some very weird and wonderful creatures here ranging from the vampire squid to the blob fish. Obviously these images are the start of me using referance imagery to base my illustration on for the content of my publication. I think something I blatantly need to think about is what limitations am I setting for colour here? I deliberately left this area of the brief quite open so I could make a more informed decsion later on based on my content and visual approach at the end of the brief just before printing.

I was talking about my project with Ollie earlier, and he came up with this idea:

"If the book is a classification archive, why not base your type and layout solutions on old victorian botany books and the like." - obviously im paraphrasing here, but you get the idea, and I think its a pretty good idea. So this visual approach needs exploring. I'm thinking serif fonts, flourishes - and possibly greyscale. I want to think about colour after I have all the content finished first because the publication is definately visual and content driven and these are the most important factors right now, everything else is secondary.

No comments:

Post a Comment